The Poker Game of Life

Poker and scotch on the rocks. Below are my reflections on life and poker. My journey from $4-8 as a past time to $30-60 for serious money and my life experiences in between.

Name:
Location: seattle, Washington, United States

Sunday, January 15, 2006

20/20 vision

"I spent a G on these glasses but my vision is priceless, seein' thru u niggaz like a fuckin psychic" - Lil Wayne

I'd say about once everytime I go out I see an acquaintance (note acquaintance is very different from friend) and they ask if I'm still at Microsoft. I then tell them "nope I'm pretty much playing poker for a living right now." Then they either go 2 routes, one route is when they ask me hella questions which is ok I guess.

Or they give me a very strange look. It's kind of a "you used to be smart or cool back in college but now you're just a loser" look. Then they say something like "well if that makes you happy I guess you can do it while you're young." I'm never really sure what that means, like are they saying go ahead and waste your life away gambling for awhile but eventually you'll have to get a job?

Sometimes I see this look and hear this statement and get hella pissed off. Lately though it's more of an eye opener and a reminder of why my friends are who they are.

It also makes me sad because it's kind of sad that college graduates working in great companies are so ignorant (IGNANT naggaz) that they are too close minded to entertain the possibility that maybe I can make more money in less time doing something I love than I ever would at the peak of my corporate career.

But I guess that's why they're acquaintances and not friends.