The Poker Game of Life

Poker and scotch on the rocks. Below are my reflections on life and poker. My journey from $4-8 as a past time to $30-60 for serious money and my life experiences in between.

Name:
Location: seattle, Washington, United States

Monday, August 08, 2005

Life is full of questions

How long will the game be good? The $30/60 is going really well for me and I continue to do way way better here than at my last job. Being a worrying geek I do have a few concerns which I'm sure some of you other players making lunch money off the donks have as well.

1.) How long will the game be good? Will it dry up and then all the money be gone? That would make me very sad. My Dad was telling me about how he crushed a lowball Razz 2-7 game for months making so much money it was incredible. Then the game dried up and everyone owed him money. He used to sit down and say, "Why don't you guys all give me $50 and I'll leave right now. Save everybody time". I've heard so many legendary stories about him sitting down and then everybody puts their name up for a seat change and these come from other people.

Then the game dried up. Will the internet dry up? So I'm building my bankroll for my next move. I'll be damned if I'm not retired at an early age.

2.) Where and when will I hit my limits? I'm at $30/60 now and making a good wage. If I can win at the same hourly rate when I step to $50/100 I'll make more money than I'd ever make at the pinnacle of my career in the corporate world. Will I hit that limit and all of a sudden have more money than I know what to do with? Or will I instead hit the limit and get frustrated and learn that I'm not as good as I think I am?

It gets trickier. Assume I can't really beat it. Will I be able to beat it after continuous study in 6 months? A yr?

How shitty would it be to reach the pinnacle of your career at 26 years and 11 months? :)

Funny because I face the same questions now that I did last year at Microsoft. Am I progressing in my career climb at the optimal rate? Am I happy with my quality of life. will I get stuck as a financial analyst? Will my poker site make me happy?

I always found that the answer was that I'll never know until I try.