The Poker Game of Life

Poker and scotch on the rocks. Below are my reflections on life and poker. My journey from $4-8 as a past time to $30-60 for serious money and my life experiences in between.

Name:
Location: seattle, Washington, United States

Monday, May 02, 2005

Why I love poker

Poker provides me with an opportunity to be the man. To be clutch. Clutch like Ray Allen last night. You could just tell the Sonics were going to win that game even when we were down. Ray just had that fire in his eye. Like just give me the ball, I want to take the shot, I want to win the game, I want to be the man. Bibby had it against the Lakers. Jordan had it. He was so clutch. You knew that no matter what he was going to win the game for his team.

It seems like there are only a few brief moments in life nowdays when true heroics shine through. Life isn't quite like the movie "Troy" where Archilles is a super hero. If you're like me as you've gotten older you run into heroes a lot less each year. That's why I love basketball and that's why I love poker.

Poker provides me with the opportunity to be the man. To be clutch. Every hand is another shot at the rim. Every chip you add to your stack is another point that the other team has to make up. Every steal is like another battle that Archilles won. Every time someone says "man he can play" feels like that fadeaway shot by Jordan when he just left his hand hangin' in the air because he knew that shot was going in. It had to. He was clutch. He was the man.