The Poker Game of Life

Poker and scotch on the rocks. Below are my reflections on life and poker. My journey from $4-8 as a past time to $30-60 for serious money and my life experiences in between.

Name:
Location: seattle, Washington, United States

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Playing Fast

The other day i had 4, 2 in the big blind in the local $8-16 game. Hey...don't give me flak it's the biggest they've got and i wanted to play in a live game not online for a change. Anyhow, got pretty lucky with timing in this hand.

2,4 in the big blind. 5-way action

Flop is 3, 5, 6 with 2 hearts:
Since there were so many people I decided to play this hand fast, maybe I get raised by a flush draw or something funny. I bet, Danny raises, and there's a reraise on the button. I hesitate and cap.

This is such a great hand because Danny is such a tight player. He's how I used to pay. He just sits around waiting for aces and kings and thinks he can beat the game that way. Although in that $8-16 loose game that's all you did need to do. Back to the hand.

The turn is a 10:
I bet the turn, Danny raises and the other guy goes away. There's no hand I can put Danny on besides top set of 10s, maybe 6's since he played it pretty aggressive on the flop. He's that tight. He couldn't have any other hand. He wouldn't even play a set of 5s against me in that style.

I repop him and bet the end. Naturally....he had a set of 6's.

I love taking chips from tight players, especially since in that game I was one of them. :0

Anyhow that got me to thinking how it really is all about timing. If I was Danny I might've played the hand in the exact same way against me. Although I probably would've been able to lay it down when it went 3 bets on the turn. My point is lately I like to play fast, just bet and get those chips in there.

Like the other day I raised with ace, king and flopped the nut straight. I slow played it and lost to a full house when a ten hit on the river. I wanted her to get me all in which is what happened and got knocked out early. (sigh)...then I had to settle for playing 13 and speed with the girls.

I had no chance in speed. hehe