The Poker Game of Life

Poker and scotch on the rocks. Below are my reflections on life and poker. My journey from $4-8 as a past time to $30-60 for serious money and my life experiences in between.

Name:
Location: seattle, Washington, United States

Friday, March 11, 2005

Strategy - Mistakes happen

I played the 6 handed $10-2o yesterday and lost $200. I think it's funny that I expect to win every time I sit down and play but that's probably the attitude you have to have. After each session I always think about how I could've played differently to win. Yesterday was a prime example.

I'm under the gun with Kings and I limp in, seat 2 raises, the button reraises, both blinds call, I call, and seat 2 caps. So we've got 5 way action capped preflop for a $200 pot. The flop is Q, J, 3 and I come out betting hoping to narrow down the field since the pot is already pretty big. Seat 2 raises, the button calls 2 bets cold, and I call. I put the button on a queen and seat 2 on Aces/Kings/ maybe ace queen, or Jacks. I only beat 1 of these hands.

The turn is another queen, I check, seat 2 bets, the button calls, and I call getting a little stubborn. At this point the only hand I really can beat is A/J or smaller pairs. I'm pretty much going to check call the end.

An ace comes on the end. This is the worst card in the deck for me since there's really not that much I can beat. I check, seat 2 bets and when the button calls I just feel like I can't overcall and win. I fold the hand, seat 2 shows pocket 10's, and the button shows pocket 9s. Almost the only hands I can beat that would be played that way.

I couldn't believe it. I lost a $300 pot because I didn't call $20. In retrospect I think I should've played the hand more aggressively by reraising the flop and taking control.

I made a mistake and paid for it. I made a few more mistakes and had to take myself out of the game. I'd rather lose $200 one day than go on tilt and blow a grand. When you take the game seriously you have to manage your emotions and your bankroll or your brilliant plays will be offset by a few tilt sessions.