The Poker Game of Life

Poker and scotch on the rocks. Below are my reflections on life and poker. My journey from $4-8 as a past time to $30-60 for serious money and my life experiences in between.

Name:
Location: seattle, Washington, United States

Friday, March 25, 2005

Poker Slowplay - Ace/Six

My good friend is leaving, moving down to SF. Which by the way is a beautiful city. I would say if I were going to live anywhere besides Seattle, it'd probably be the bay or perhaps Venice, Italy which I had the pleasure to visit this past summer. Anyway, he holds a weekly poker tournament at his place, small game like 12 people, $10 buy-in. So instead of playing $15-30 like I intended to where 1 pot would be more than first place in this tournament I decided to hangout with my buddy and play in his tournament.

I made a huge mistake in this tournament and lost my chip lead. I've got 700 in chips, chip leader about 1,200 and my buddy Dave has about 180. The blinds are at 30-60, so Dave has like a round or two left unless he makes some moves and doubles up.

Here's where the magic sets in as I bust Dave out. I've got Ace/six in the small bilnd and Dave has 120 left in chips since his big blind is 60. Ace/rag is a shitty hand, we all know that. But, in heads up competition I look at it like the nuts, especially with Dave short stacked in chips. He's smart so he knows he needs to double up really soon and last time I was in the small blind I limped in, he pushed all in and I had to fold, since I had a marginal hand.

I decide to slowplay Ace/Rag and limp in knowing that he'll push all in with whatever hand he's got trying to steal my 60 chips and survive another round. Sounds funny doesn't it? Slowplay such a shitty hand. It worked though. He pushed all in with King/Jack, I immediately call and neither of us catch anything.

4 hands later I bust out, I got pushed around a little bit and by the time I made a move the villain had a good hand.

My win? $30...one big blind in the game I'll play tonight. hehe. Plus getting to hangout with my good friend, and a few kills in Halo2. Sometimes it's not all about the money. =)